COVID-19 has presented challenges for businesses all over the world – for some, it has meant facilities have had to close for some time. Now, most businesses are resuming their in-person public or colleague interaction in some capacity, and that means you need to be on top of your cleaning.
Knowing what to clean and how often can be as big a challenge as actually staying on top of it, so here is a helpful checklist so you can keep your business clean in Calgary or wherever you are in the world.
COVID-19 BUSINESS CLEANING CHECKLIST
ASK STAFF TO CLEAN AFTER THEY USE
- Computers (focus on mouse and keyboard – ask them to clean whenever they leave or come back to it)
- Light switches
- Copier/printer and any other equipment with an interface
- Shared water dispenser/cooler
- Shared utensils and glasses (best to designate for each member of staff)
CLEAN AFTER EVERY USE (STAFF OR CUSTOMER)
(Be aware that staff that haven’t been hired for cleaning shouldn’t be expected to do a professional-level clean, only reasonable maintenance. If you are wondering how hiring a commercial cleaning company can save you money in the long run, click here.)
- Door handles (or prop open, or have sanitizer stations after/before door)
- Baskets/shopping carts/trolleys and similar
- Shared desk spaces
- Shared chairs
- Cafeteria (tables, chairs, trays, etc)
CLEAN EACH DAY
- Sales counters
- Door handles
- Bathrooms (focus on faucets, provide towels instead of dryer as this can make bacteria and viruses airborne, sinks, toilets and handles)
- Retail shelving
- Walls in high traffic or waiting areas (anywhere someone may lean)
- Spray soft furnishings if likely to have been in contact with multiple people
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR BUSINESS
Fortunately, once you’ve cleaned, you’re likely going to be keeping your hands clean and free of bacteria and viruses, but you still need to be cautious. If you are asking members of staff to clean equipment for their colleagues or for customers, you should offer them additional protection. Ask them to:
- Wear a mask
- Wear disposable gloves
- Ensure you use disinfectant at least once a day, even if you simply use soap and water at other times
- Clean their hands with sanitizer after they remove their gloves before removing their mask
- Notify you if disinfectant is getting low so you can purchase more before it runs out – disinfectant and soap aren’t one and the same
- Clean their clothes at the end of the day so they don’t wear the same clothes two days in a row – or do this for them if you have the facilities.
WHAT TO DO IF SOMEONE GETS SICK
If someone falls sick, whether that be COVID-19 or not, close off their workspace if possible, or the location, until it has been sanitized by a professional cleaning company. This can usually be done within a 24-hour turn around, so won’t keep your business from functioning as normal from the next day. Ask that member of staff to work from home for the following two weeks, if they have any cold or flu symptoms.
USE PROFESSIONAL COMMERCIAL CLEANING IN CALGARY
While diligent daily cleaning by your staff, cooperative customers and a cleaning team will help keep things clean, if you’re a high-traffic business (such as a retail space, restaurant, gym, museum, or similar) you will benefit greatly from professional commercial cleaning services. We need to do all we can to keep the community safe here in Calgary, and regular sanitation is the best way to do this.
We are responsible for cleaning over 3 million square feet of commercial space in Calgary, so we’re well equipped to fully disinfect your business, whether that’s a one-off service or daily management. To find out more about what we can do for you, click here.